Thursday 2 May 2024

Rock Ride Riot -Translation-


More translations coming up! This time one of my top favorite songs ever, Rock Ride Riot. I had a bit of a tough time after moving back to Finland after the first time I lived in Japan and when NEOGENE CREATION came out I looped this song so much since the bit 本気になれる理由が欲しい」- I want a reason to give my all really resonated with me at the time. It helped motivate me to find my way back to Japan and now I've been on this side of the globe again for roughly 6 years. But! Enough of my personal ramblings, let's get on with the translation.

QC credits to Chinatsu are due as always.


Rock Ride Riot

作詞:作詞:ヨシダタクミ(phatmans after school)
作曲:作詞:ヨシダタクミ(phatmans after school)
編曲:藤間 仁(Elements Garden)


Japanese English
Yeah... Yeah...
拝啓 少年時代
未来の君は
絵に描いた餅をねだる日々
プロセスじゃなく結果が欲しい
でも、現実からはエスケープ
Dear adolescent me
your future self
on the days of coaxing for castles in the sky
wants results not the process
but, it is an escape from reality
だらだら 過ごしては
偽りながら
妄想の自分に
酔いしれていた
I was loafing around
while fabricating
a delusional self that
intoxicated me
けど、気がつけば
みんな僕よりも
ずっと遠くまで
歩いていたよ
But, before I knew it
Everyone had
been walking way further
than me
I know..
もう戻れない
I know..
本気になれる理由が欲しい
I know..
there's no going back
I know..
I want a reason to give my all
Yeah..
変わりたいと願う
変わらない自分にもがいていたんだ
それは孤独にもよく似た
寂寞のshouting star
Yeah..
I wish to change
I was struggling with my unchanging self
It was a lot like loneliness,
the shouting star of desolation
努力 友情 愛情 感動 能動的
人間らしく I so―愛想―振りまいては
後悔 自問自答 虚像の毎日に
正解不正解の狭間へ消える
Effort, friendship, love, sensation¹, proactivity
By spreading affection² like humans do
in the everyday of regret, self-questioning, misconception
I disappear into the crack between what's right and wrong
I know..
コエヲアゲテ
I know..
昨日までと決別を誓う
I know..
raise my voice
I know..
I swear to part with yesterday
巻き戻すことはできなくても
やり直すことはできるから
Even if rewinding things is not possible
it is possible to make things right
Nobody's perfect Nobody's perfect
Yeah..
いくつもの夜と涙を越え
歩いていくんだ
それがどんな未来でも
乗り越えてみせるから
Yeah..
Surpassing the countless nights and tears
I'll keep walking
No matter what kind of future awaits
I will try to overcome it
それは決意と言う名の
寂寞のshouting star
It is called determination
the shouting star of desolation


Translation notes:

  1. There isn't really any good equivalent of 感動 in English as a noun so this was pretty tricky. Essentially the gist is that something moves/touches you deeply or leaves a very deep impression. While thinking about this, we noticed that English has a lot of suitable words if the emotion is specified but with 感動 it's really kinda vague so we ended up sticking to something really vague as well, thus sensation (impression by itself doesn't really fit the bill, you'd need to specify that to make it fit in this context).

  2. Considering there was something similar in MY ENTERTAINMENT, I guess Saji really likes to throw in some English that sounds the same as some Japanese word even if it makes the lyrics seem nonsensical, as I so and 愛想 read the same. Luckily, at least 愛想 makes sense in this context! If you wanted to try and reason why the I so is there too, you could take it to imply an emphasis of something like I'm spreading so much affection like humans do, but that's just me making assumptions so take it with a grain of salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment